New Project!

I said a while back that I'd be starting a new project with smaller scope.  

Well, it took me long enough but I've finally made a start!

My new project is an arcade-style exploration game in a similar vein to the old classics like Thrust, Solar Jetman and Lunar Lander.

I've made a modest start and got my rocket moving.  I've also implemented a very simple fuel mechanic and am able to pickup nearby objects with my tractor beam. 

I'm aiming to get the first level completely blocked out this week, so I can gauge whether the experience is as fun as I think it is.  It'll then be time to decide whether to run full steam into production or not.  

I'm hoping that this will become my first commercially released game, so fingers crossed. 

Exams are over!

I'm thankful to say that my exams are pretty much over for now.  The only one left is my Unity Certified Exam, which was postponed to 2nd October.  This should be a cakewalk though, so I'm not particularly worried about it. 

So now back onto my RPG, right?... wrong. 

I've been pretty ill over the last few week (including for my exams which was REALLY fun!).  So upon coming back to my computer I'm just not feeling it at the moment.  So rather than charging back into something I'm not overly happy with, I'm taking a break and doing something new. 

After reading an article on hex grids I thought it'd be fun to try and implement the cubic coordinate system into a 4x style map.  Now, I'm not going to be making a 4x game any time soon, but it's nice to know that I can make a map if ever I need to again.  

I'll probably carry on down the rabbit whole this week and then back to the RPG demo (or some other side project if I get distracted again!).

Hex map showing the cubic coordinate

Hex map showing the cubic coordinate

Hex map with horizontal wrapping

Hex map with horizontal wrapping

Well that's it for now.  I've got a few things in the pipeline this week, so I look forward to sharing with you again soon.

Slow Progress

Well things are on the go slow this week.   I was away over the weekend, so didn't get any work done.  I've also got an assignment due in on Wednesday, so most of my Monday was taken up with that. Hopefully things will free up mid-week and I'll have more to share by the end of the week.

On the plus side, I did get some time to code this evening! 

In a few short hours I threw together a UI drag and drop system, which I could be used as the basis of a Magic: The Gathering style clone.  It could also be adapted to work as an inventory system or anything else that requires you to move something from one place to another.  Something I may well use for Project "Blackwood".

Speaking of my RPG, I also made a small amount of progress there too.  My hero can now move with point and click controls and I've added some affordance to the cursor, so you can actually tell what you're clicking on (roughly). 

No pictures this time around - Go play the demo on the Games page!
I'll make sure to put some in next time though, or I may treat you to a little video or even a demo.